Phnom Penh: The number of people killed in a bridge stampede during the Cambodian capital’s annual water festival now stands at 351, the social affairs minister said today.
The figure, which included 222 females, is four higher than previously announced, while the number of injured stood at 395, said a statement signed by Ith Samheng, who sits on a committee investigating the disaster.
It said each of the wounded would receive free treatment and assistance from the Cambodian Red Cross as well as 1,000,000 riels (USD 244) from the government.
Cambodia’s most popular festival ended in tragedy on Monday after crowds panicked on an overcrowded bridge leading to an island that was one of the main event sites.
Authorities have said a full report on the incident would be released in the coming week.